Saturday, September 11, 2010

Flying by the seat of my pants….

Flying by the seat of my pants….

Upon reflection this current adventure of mine has pretty much started out on a whim. Though I travel a lot and can be quite spontaneous, recent circumstances pulled me into “getting away” in a fashion faster than I could recount if asked.  If you told me on August 10th that a month later I’d be on my way to Hawaii, I would have squinted my eyes and said “Whatcha talking about Willis?”  Especially because at the time I had other plans.

So first, I booked my flight not in typical fashion for me, and for what I will now refer to as “flying by the seat of my pants”

Then usually, because I do travel often, I’m usually somewhat methodical, organized and handling details in an orderly fashion.  Not this time.  I barely spoke about my trip, barely thought about, and barely packed in time.  Therefore it didn’t occur to me until hours before I’m about to leave, versus the day before, to check into my flight online.  I always pre-book my window seats and because the flight was only a few hours away I thought I’d peruse what other seats still might be available.  Another window seat was available and with no one booked to sit next to them, unlike the current seat I was arranged in.  I took a chance and well, it paid off. 

So second, booking online by the “seat of my pants” and I got two seats all to myself.  Mahalo.

One of my best friends Gillian dropped me off at the airport which was also by the seat of both our pants.  She was borrowing a friends car and texted me the night before to offer me a ride. Extremely thoughtful as she always is…. and a send off from someone you love is the best way to arrive or depart any airport so of course I said yes!  Usually logistical challenges happen on my end, by which I mean I’m the one usually running late, however this time lovely Gilly was juggling to arrive in a timely fashion to get me to airport.  I knew, just knew it would be okay. I’m meant to be going to Kaua’i and went with the flow. I wasn’t even flustered when at the check-in counter the woman said to me, “Wow you just made it, like just made it, like JUST!”  Uh-ha, I got it.  I was grateful, to the universe and to her, kissed my ticket and headed through security.  Now, just to note… “just making it” was apparently hitting the 60 minute cut off before my flight, because I arrived an hour before it was to depart.  I still have flashbacks of running every step of the way to make a plane to Miami years ago in Toronto when I arrive at the check-in counter at the same time as they were boarding the plane?  I digress.

So third, arriving at the departures check-in counter at exactly 60 minutes before a USA flight from Canada is JUST “flying by the seat of my pants”

I whizzed through the rest of the check-in procedures and had lots of time for some sushi and wonton soup while I starred at the Information Boards on arrivals and departures. Hhhhmm, that plane just departed to Minneapolis.  I ate another piece of raw fish.  Then, it was off the board … where’s my flight again?  Calmly I sat and sipped my soup and at about 3:05pm I figured I better walk over to my gate for my 3:20pm flight.  Seconds later as I approached closer I heard them page my name with the following… “This is our final boarding call, all bags will be removed from the plane if you do not take your seats for our final boarding call”   Wow, I am flying by the seat of my pants.  Calmly, and a little apologetically, I boarded the plane.  Whew!  Let me digress again for a minute and just state for the record, and most of you who know me will agree, IF my bags were ever to be “removed” from a plane I’ll tell you it’s going to be for a much better story than I sat starring at the check-in board sipping soup. 

So fourth, arriving at final boarding call as they “threatened” to remove my luggage, also falls into the category of “flying by the seat of my pants”

As I write these detailed accounts of my journey to arriving in Hawaii I’m present to only one feeling.  A deep, routed feeling of trust.  I can tell I’m learning to trust myself and the universe again J

Oh shit!   Gotta go FINAL CALL for my plane from Honolulu to Kaua’i.


Cassándra


No comments:

Post a Comment